WORLD CHICKEN DANCE CHAMPIONSHIP
The 5nd Annual World Championship Chicken Dance Contest is being held as the premier competition for the art of Chicken Dance throughout North America. Rules have been developed with the input of North America’s leading experts on Chicken Dance to ensure a fair and competitive event.
ORDER OF COMPETITION
- On site contestants’ registration and check in will take place in Conference Room #1 located at the Interpretive Center Building of the Blackfoot Crossing Historical Park on , August , 2013 from 8:00-9:00 a.m.
Registration closes at the beginning of Round 1 for each division.
- There will be a meeting of contestants, judges and staff from 8:30 – 9:00 a.m. on , August , 2013. Rules will be reviewed and questions clarified regarding Contest. YOU ARE STRONGLY URGED TO ATTEND THIS MEETING!
- Any grievances must be addressed at this meeting. After this, any complaints must be registered with a $100.00 fee (non-refundable) in order to be considered. A refund may occur if grievance is found to be legitimate. Contestants may not discuss any situation dealing with another contestant or a particular rule during the event. Any contestant who disregards this rule will be immediately disqualified from competition. A committee selected by Blackfoot Crossing Historical Park will meet and the decision will be final.
- Grand Entry for the event is promptly at 10:00 a.m. Competition begins immediately following Grand Entry. Elimination Rounds will begin for Youth, Teens, Senior and Adult Division contestants on August , 2015. Dancers in Grand Entry will receive 15 points and 25 points if in full regalia.
Round 1 - 250 possible points
Tiny Tot Division - All contestants dance, awards given at end of round (0-6)
Junior Division - The top six contestants advance to Round 2. (7-12)
Teen Division - The top six contestants advance to Round 2. (13-17)
Adult - Top ten contestants advance to Round 2. (18-44)
Senior Division - Top six contestants advance to Round 2. (45 years and Older)
Round 2 - 250 possible points
ALL FINALISTS BEGIN WITH A CLEAN SCORE CARD. Points will not be carried over from Round 1. Each contestant will have a new opportunity to score up to 250 points.
Junior Division- The top four contestants advance to Final Round on TBA.
Teen Division-The top four contestants advance to Final Round on TBA.
Adult Division- The top six contestants advance to Final Round on TBA.
Senior Division- The top four contestants advance to Final Round on TBA.
Final Round - Championship Round – 250 possible points.
AGAIN, ALL FINALISTS BEGIN WITH A CLEAN SCORE CARD. Any score earned in previous rounds will be eliminated. Congratulations!
All finalists in the Junior, Teen, Senior and Adult Divisions will have placed in the World Championship Chicken Dance Contest by this time. Ranking will be determined during this final round of competition.
Songs for contestants will rotate between the Host Drums for the first two rounds. You may select drums in the final round or bring in your own drum. If you bring in your own drum it will be at your cost.
The World Championship Chicken Dance Contest is judged on an International Athletic Liker Scale. Judges tabulations are based on the following criteria.
Old Style movements.
- Trick Dance.
- Must be in full Regalia.
- While in competition no part of their regalia can fall off.
This is a Chicken “Dancing” Contest. Feet should continuously keep time to the drum.
- Contestants’ movement is essential.
- Bells help the judges access your rhythm and, therefore, are required.
Presentation should be directed to audience.
- Variation of movement will be taken into account.
Points will accumulate with more moves.
- Points will accumulate on originality of outfit.
- Points accumulate with moves originated by a dancer and not previously presented.
This category is related directly to drum style and dance coordination.
- The following time limits have been set for each category:
JUNIOR & TEEN
- 1ST Round - 1 song, 4 starts
- 2nd Round - 1 trick, 2 songs, 4 starts each
- Final Round - 2 songs, 4 starts
ADULT & SENIOR
- 1st Round - 2 songs, 4 starts
- 2nd Round - 2 songs, 4 starts, 1 trick
- Final Round - 3 songs, 4 starts
The judges’ decision will be final! Good sportsmanship is expected and appreciated.
• All dancers must participate in Grand Entry on Saturday and Sunday. Failure to participate will result in a 50 point deduction from your Final Round score.
• No eagle whistles – this means you will not be allowed to “blow a whistle” before, during or after your routine. The use of the eagle whistle is considered very sacred to many Native communities and it is the opinion of the judges that the Chicken Dance Contest is not an appropriate place to “blow a whistle”.
• No religious prayer – this means you cannot include prayer before, during, or after your routine. It is the opinion of the judges that any prayer, ceremony or ritual may not be performed during your routine.
• During the contest a contestants’ number will be called three times. If you are not in the arena after the third call you will be disqualified. There will be NO exceptions.
• No drugs or alcohol – this means any contestant using drugs or alcohol will be immediately removed from the competition and from the grounds of the Blackfoot Crossing Historical Park.
Any violation of the above rules will disqualify you from the entire Chicken Dance Contest.
Dressing tents and rest areas are for contestants only, will be provided by the Blackfoot Crossing Historical Park.
All contestants will be required to sign a photo release form provided in the registration area. Entry into the contest indicates your permission to allow the Blackfoot Crossing Historical Park to take still photographs, video footage, and/or audio recordings of your performance. This is for exclusive use by the Blackfoot Crossing Historical Park for education and promotional purposes.
Entry into the contest indicates your permission to allow the local media (television, newspaper) to take still photographs, video footage, and/or audio recordings of your performances for publicity purposes.
Entry into the contest indicates your permission to allow private individuals to take still photographs of your performance for their personal use only.